Lehigh University's College of Education Multicultural Resource Center is housed on Lehigh's Mountaintop Campus. Created in response to recommendations made by the COE Diversity Taskforce, the center offers both physical and online resources and seeks to assist students, faculty and staff in becoming multiculturally competent. Furthermore, we are excited to play a part in Lehigh University's commitment to diversity in academic coursework and in fostering understanding in both the campus and world community as well as between and within individuals.
Staffing for the center consists of a graduate assistant with oversight from the College of Education Diversity Committee Faculty Co-Chairs, Floyd Beachum & Peggy Kong. The center is housed within the COE Graduate Student Lounge (B103) on the 1st floor of Iacocca Hall.
Graduate Assistant Opening – Academic Year 2017-18
(This position is for College of Education graduate students ONLY)
The Multicultural Resource Center Graduate Assistantship is a 20-hour per week, 9-month position for the 2017-18 academic year. The GA will be responsible for working with the members of the COE Diversity Committee in the development and operation of the Multicultural Resource Center (MRC). The GA will report directly to the co-chairs of this committee.
The MRC seeks to foster knowledge, skills, understanding, and awareness in the area of multiculturalism and diversity. Its core goals are to:
- Create a space with resources to foster discussion and development
- Foster a culture among faculty, staff, and students that is inclusive, supportive of, and open to diverse perspectives and experiences
- Help develop the school community to better reflect the diverse communities served by the College's fields of professional practice
- Strengthen the curriculum across programs to better reflect issues of multiculturalism and diversity
Duties for the MRC Graduate Assistant will include:
- Organize and participate in monthly meetings of the COE Diversity Committee
- Work with faculty, the librarian for education, staff, and students to identify and facilitate the acquisition of research, curriculum, and other materials, including those already owned and those to be acquired, that support their work in the area of multiculturalism, diversity, and equity; maintaining updated resource materials
- Develop and maintain relationships with University and community offices and agencies
- Represent COE on university-wide committee’s related to diversity & inclusion efforts
- Disseminate information throughout COE community about multicultural events and resources (i.e., MRC listserv, posting flyers, sending posts for COE Weekly Digest)
- Develop timely and appropriate content for MRC Weekly Newsletter
- Maintain the MRC webpage (ed.lehigh.edu/insidecoe/mrc)
- Organize MRC-related events (e.g., guest speakers, open houses, movie series)
- Current benefits for this 9-month position will include:
- Stipend of $14,000 ($1555/month)
- Tuition remission (18 credits)
If you are interested in this position, please send an email to MRC@Lehigh.edu by February 24th, 2017 with your CV and a one-page statement of interest that highlights your qualifications and any relevant prior experience.