Get started today!
- Application requirements: Online application, official undergraduate and (if applicable) graduate transcripts, minimum GPA of 3.0, two letters of recommendation, with at least one from a faculty member of an accredited academic institution and a personal statement.
- Deadline(s): April 15 for summer start, July 15 for fall start and Dec. 15 for spring start
- Course Requirements: 7 courses + practicum (23 credits)
- Typical Course Load: Fall (2 courses), Spring (2 courses), Summer (1 course)
- Time to Completion: 1 1/2 years
- Practical Experience Component: 1-3 credits of practicum
- Alumni Current Positions: Ki-12 public and private school teachers
This 23-credit (minimum) certification program is designed for graduate students seeking Pennsylvania additional certification as a Special Education PreK-8 or 7-12 teacher.
The mission of this special education program is to prepare highly qualified educators who are not only skilled practitioners but also leaders in establishing effective teaching and learning environments for individuals with disabilities in their schools and communities.
PA Instructional Level I Additional Certification in Special Education PreK-8 (23 credits minimum)
The following PA certificate holders may enroll in a Special Education PreK-8 program: N-3, K-6, PreK-4, 4-8, K-12, and Reading Specialist.
PA Instructional Level I Additional Certification in Special Education 7-12 (23 credits minimum)
The following PA certificate holders may enroll in a Special Education 7-12 program: 7-12, K-12, and Reading Specialist.
|COURSE NUMBER||COURSE NAME||CREDITS|
|Students are expected to have completed the equivalent of each of the three courses listed below. If a student lacks one of these courses, he or she will be required to complete it before going out on the intensive teaching experience.|
|SPED 332||Education and Inclusion of Individuals with Special Needs||3|
|SPED 405||Principles and Applications of K-12 Assessment||3|
|SPED 409||K-12 Classroom Environment and Management||3|
|Program of Study (23 credits minimum)|
|SPED 404||Diversity, Families, and School Collaborations in K-12||3|
|SPED 418||Alternative Curricular Approaches||3|
|SPED 432||Positive Behavior Support||3|
|SPED 452||Assessment in Special Education||3|
|SPED 465||Advanced Inclusionary Practices in K-12||3|
|Coursework for PreK-8 ONLY (6 credits)|
|SPED 411||Early Childhood Education||3|
|SPED 419||Academic Interventions: PreK-8||3|
|Coursework for 7-12 ONLY (6 credits)|
|SPED 421||Academic Interventions: Secondary Level||3|
|SPED 423||Transition to Post-school Life||3|
|Intensive Teaching Experience (2 credits)|
|SPED 420||Field Experience: Special Education Certification||2|
Course descriptions can be found in the course catalog.
Application Requirements & Deadlines
- Completed online application
- $65 Application Fee
- GPA Minimum: 3.0 (undergraduate)
- Official transcript(s) from each post-secondary institution attended
- 2 letters of recommendation - Academic and/or professional
- Acknowledgement of College of Education Policy on Clearances
- Personal statement
- U.S. citizenship or legal permanent resident
- April 15 for summer semester summer
- July 15 for fall semester start
- December 15 for spring semester start