International Week Flag ParadeEvery year during International Week, the celebration is kicked-off with The Flag Parade.
The College of Education welcomes and encourages applicants from around the world. We provide extensive support for our international students who come to Lehigh University to study. Lehigh's Office of International Affairs offers a comprehensive set of services for international students and scholars to help them adapt to living on campus so they can have a rewarding cultural and educational experience. This support includes immigration services, orientation and counseling, cultural programs and English as a Second Language training. Lehigh'sGradaute Life Office also provides many valuable resources and supports for all graduate students are Lehigh. As a premier research university, graduate students make up a vital part of our community of scholars at Lehigh. Nearly two-thirds of Lehigh's graduate students come from outside the United States.
All application requirements, transcripts and deadlines are the same for all students, regardless of where they hail from. Please read all admissions information. The information provided below are some common questions that international students have consistently asked over time.
- Undergraduate GPA Minimum: 3.0 (unless otherwise stated)
- $65 Non-refundable Application Fee
- Official Transcript(s) from each Postsecondary Institution Attended
- International applicants must hold an American bachelor’s degree or an equivalent foreign degree requiring at least 16 years of primary, secondary, and university education. International applicants applying for regular graduate student status must submit all documents required for that status.
- Please note that there are varying deadlines so please be sure to check the program you are interested in and use that deadline as the official deadline when applying.
Financial aid is available only for regular, full-time on-campus graduate students. Teaching assistantships, research assistantships, graduate assistantships, fellowships, and scholarships are academic awards made by individual academic departments. Several graduate assistantships unrelated to a particular area of study can be obtained by applying to administrative offices. International students are also encouraged to apply for funding to outside sponsoring agencies and/or home governments.
Transcripts from a foreign institution must be evaluated for equivalency before being sent to Lehigh University. Credential evaluation means converting foreign academic credentials into their U.S. educational equivalents. By converting your educational qualifications into their U.S. equivalents, the evaluation allows academic institutions or employers in the U.S. to understand them.
All transcripts should reflect a detailed statement of the courses completed, the amount of time spent on each course, the grade earned, and an explanation of the grading system used. Any degree, certificate, or diploma awarded should be clearly indicated and included if possible.
Transcripts in a language other than English must be accompanied by an official English translation.
You may also use any of the following services or those at this link: http://www.naces.org/members.
- World Education Services
- Educational Credentials Evaluators, Inc.
- Global Credential Evaluators, Inc.
Lehigh University does not promote these services; we simply inform you of them as a resource.
Please request that a course-by-course evaluation converted to U.S. credits and grades and/or translation be sent in a sealed envelope directly from the evaluating service to: Lehigh University, College of Education, Admissions Office, 111 Research Drive, B-206, Bethlehem, PA 18015
All scores should be submitted to the College of Education Admission Coordinator using LU Institutional Code 2365 (GRE) or 1635 (MAT). If original test scores cannot be provided, notarized copies are required.
- GRE - Ph.D. programs (see specific program for details)
- TOEFL scores - Graduate applicants who are non-native speakers of English are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-Based Test. Please also note that the TOEFL Paper-Based Test and the TOEFL Computer-Based Test have been discontinued and are no longer valued for admissions purposes. TOEFL test date must be within the last 2 years. The TOEFL requirement may be waived if: The applicant has graduated from a US institution within the last 2 years.
Refer to the following links for further details:
Mailing address: Lehigh University, College of Education, Admissions Office, 111 Research Drive, B-206, Bethlehem, PA 18015
Target TOEFL or IELTS Scores
The following target scores refer to the minimum scores within the College of Education. Students falling below the COE IBT TOEFL SCORES will need some remedial language assistance prior to taking any course work.
COE iBT TOEFL SCORES
Reading - 24
Listening - 20
Speaking - 24
Writing - 25
Total score - 93
COE IELTS SCORES
Writing - 6.5
Speaking - 7.5
Reading - 7.0
Listening - 6.5
Total score - 6.5
Accommodations for Applicants from China in Response to Coronavirus
We understand that as a result of the outbreak of novel coronavirus, all English tests for IELTS, TOEFL and the GRE and GMAT graduate entry exams in China are canceled at least through the end of February. All graduate program directors at Lehigh University are aware of the challenge posed by the outbreak and are willing to work with applicants who need extra flexibility.
In light of these extenuating circumstances, we are offering the following accommodations:
- Applicants affected by the cancellation of the IELTS and TOEFL exams may submit Duolingo English test results with DET score minimums required. To find your department’s DET score minimum, please refer to the published TOEFL/IELTS/DET score concordances: https://englishtest.duolingo.com/scores.
- When these students arrive on campus, they must complete an additional English language assessment through Lehigh’s International Center for Academic and Professional English (ICAPE).
- Applicants to programs that require the GRE or GMAT who are unable to take the test before the appli cation deadline may apply for conditional admissions, with the expectation that they will complete the required exam before arriving at Lehigh.
Applicants to Lehigh University’s graduate programs who are affected by the suspension of these exams in China should contact the directors of the specific graduate program to which they are applying to request accommodation.
International tuition and fees
For the 2019-2020 academic year tuition is $565 per credit hour. Tuition rate for students admitted to the joint MBA/M.Ed. program in Educational Leadership is $810 per credit hour. Our tuition is the same for in-state, out-of-state and international students in order to maintain accessibility across the board.
Students enrolled in at least 9 credits during a semester are considered full-time.
- Intern and clinic supervision fees are charged in addition to tuition.
- The charge for auditors is the same as the complete course fee.
- The application fee for admission is $65.
- There is no registration fee, however a $100 late course registration fee will be charged for any full-time graduate student (includes certified full-time) who has not begun the registration process by the announced day. Please refer to the Bursar's Office Web site: http://financeadmin.lehigh.edu/content/fee-schedule-0
- Additional late fees may be incurred AFTER August 1 for Fall Semester and January 1 for Spring Semester.
Please refer to the Bursar's Office website for additional tuition information.
Policies regarding refunds
- During the academic year, a graduate student in good standing, who formally withdraws before 60% of the semester has been completed, will be eligible for a tuition refund.
- No tuition refunds will be made for courses of one week or less after the first day of class.
- Academic & administrative fees are non-refundable after the first day of classes.
Pre-Arrival Checklist Video
The Office of International Students & Scholars has created a new video detailing the pre-arrival checklist that international students must fill out to receive their immigration document. The document must be completely filled out prior to your arrival at Lehigh.