We offer non-degree admission for students who wish to take up to 12 credits of graduate coursework at Lehigh University without seeking a degree. Any transcript or other record from Lehigh University will indicate the student status as non-degree. Non-degree students are not permitted to audit courses.
Required Criteria for Consideration for Admission
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution with a minimum grade point average of 2.75 on a four-point scale or ;
- GPA of 3.0 or higher on a four-point scale for a minimum of 12 graduate credits at another accredited institution.
- If English is not your first language, you must submit TOEFL scores.
All applicant materials are due before Lehigh University's official first day of classes for each semester. Visit the registrar's office for dates.
- Apply online and select "Courses Only" or "Certificate (of interest)"
- Along with your application you must submit an official transcript which shows bachelor's or master's degrees from a college or university.
- $65.00 payable online.
- If English is not your first language, you must submit your TOEFL score.
Course/Space Availability and Registration
Selected courses are designated open to non-degree students on a space available basis. Pre-requisites may apply to these courses. However, the faculty may waive these pre-requisites. A course registration must be completed and approved by the Office of Admissions Director. Tuition must be paid at the Bursar's Office as part of the registration process and before you can attend the course.
The admission decision for non-degree students is made by the Dean of the College of Education, or other responsible official designated by the College of Education for this purpose.
- Admission requirements for non-degree applicants seeking external certification are not the same as regular non-degree applicants. They must apply online and select the certification program that they wish to pursue. Once accepted, non-degree external certification students are assigned certification advisors and must work with that advisor to assure they complete all requirements for certification satisfactorily. Students complete the coursework and any other required field experiences for the appropriate certification, with the number of credits and field experiences being dictated by the external accrediting agency. Certification involves qualitative components as well as credits; students seeking certification must meet the quality standards of the certification program, as well as completing the necessary coursework and field experiences.
- Non-degree students may not receive more than one grade below a B- and continue taking courses.
- Course taken by non-degree students will count towards the completion of a graduate degree, provided they fall within the normal degree requirements of the program and meet minimum grade requirements.
- Admission as a non-degree student does not guarantee admission to a degree program.
- If you would like to apply to a degree seeking program after you have matriculated as a non-degree students, please contact the admisisons office.
Upon completion of your certificate program, you are required to complete this form: Certificate Request Form. By doing so, your certificate will appear on your Lehigh transcript and you will receive a formal certificate.
Certificate to Master's: If you plan to enroll in the Master's program once you've completed your Lehigh Certificate, you must apply to the Master's program and receive an offer of admission (and accept) in order to be a Master's student.