Transfer of Credits
The College of Education has adopted a more restrictive policy on transfer of credits than has been approved by the University. Such policy is permitted by R & P 3.22.2.
With the approval of the department chair offering commensurate courses and the student’s department chair (if different), a maximum of six credits may be transferred to a Lehigh Master’s program. A petition is submitted to the Registrar with course descriptions and an official transcript, as well as a departmental recommendation(s). Students may also be asked for a statement from their former institution that the course has not been used toward a prior degree.
To be eligible for credit towards a Lehigh Master’s program, all transferred courses must:
- Have been taken at the graduate level
- Have a grade of B or better
- Not have been used toward any prior degree
- Have been completed within four years of first enrollment into a Lehigh graduate program
- Be transferred from an institution that is accredited by one of the six regional accrediting associations.
- An official transcript must indicate the final grade on a 4.0 point scale.
- Foreign transcripts must be evaluated by World Education Services or Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. and show a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Complete one form for each course that you wish to transfer into your master’s degree program.
- Complete all parts of the front of this form and secure the necessary signatures.(Please note: Departmental recommendations are used to inform the Registrar’s decision, but the Registrar is the final authority for the university.)
- Submit the completed petition form to the Office of the Registrar, along with all attachments.
- Once a course has been completed, you must request that an OFFICIAL transcript be sent to: Office of the Registrar, Lehigh University, 27 Memorial Drive West, Bethlehem, PA 18015
Additional Graduate Degree Transfer Credit Policies/Limitations
Student petitions meeting the standards listed above are also bound by the following five limitations on course transfers into a Lehigh Master's degree program. Any request for more than six credits must be submitted with a filled out Masters Degree Program form with all appropriate approvals. Please see the first paragraph above regarding the College of Education's policy on transfer credits.
1. The maximum number of credits that may transfer in is determined by the total number of credits in the master’s program:
Up to nine credits for programs of 36 credits or less
Up to twelve credits for programs of 37 to 48 credits
Up to fifteen credits for programs of 49 to 60 credits
2. To be eligible for credit towards a Lehigh master’s program all transferred courses must:
Have been taken at the graduate level
Have been completed within four years of first enrollment into a Lehigh graduate program
If taken in the U.S, be offered by a U.S. institution and that institution must be accredited by one of the six regional accrediting associations: Middle States Association of College and Schools, North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, New England Association of Colleges and Schools, Northwest Association of Colleges and Schools, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and Western Association of Colleges and Schools.
3. To be eligible for transfer, courses from by an international institution must be offered by a postbaccalaureate degree-granting institution. Credit will be evaluated on an individual basis.
4. Certain colleges or degree programs may have more restrictive policies with regard to the number of transferable credits or eligibility of courses.
5. Students must submit to the Registrar (a) the completed Graduate Course Credit Transfer Petition form, (b) an official course description from the institution at which the course to be transferred is offered, and (c) an official transcript. Students may also be asked to provide a statement from the institution offering the course confirming that the course has not been used toward a prior degree.
NOTE: Only those courses listed and approved on this form will transfer. Any student taking a course different from the one listed risks having the course not be eligible for transfer credit.