Get started today!
- Application requirements: Two letters of recommendation (at least one recommendation must come from a faculty member at an accredited academic institution), transcripts, and essay
- Deadline(s): January 15 for fall semester start
- Course Requirements: 16 courses (48 credits)
- Typical Course Load: Fall (3-4 courses), Spring (2-4 courses), Summer (3-4 courses) which allows candidates to complete the program in two years (two falls, two springs and one summer)
- Time to Completion: 2 years
- Practical Experience Component: Minimum of 100 hours of field work required and an internship of 15-20 hours a week for two semesters (usually in second year). A clinical coordinator assists students with placements for field work and the internship
- Culminating Experience: Comprehensive portfolio
- Alumni Current Positions: Graduates go on to counseling positions in elementary, middle and secondary schools, college counseling centers and mental health and social service agencies
The M.Ed. in School Counseling leads to Pennsylvania Department of Education certification for school counseling from Pre-Kindergarten through 12th grade.
The course of study prepares students to work with individuals and groups from diverse backgrounds and developmental stages, helping them gain skills for living in a complex and culturally diverse society. Master’s candidates learn how to provide direct services and consultations as well as conduct workshops, classes and preventative programs.
Applying what you learn in a real-world setting is an important part of the program. Many master’s candidates get that experience at the Community Voices Clinic based at two local public schools in Southside Bethlehem, where they are supervised by a Lehigh professor and doctoral-level graduate assistants.
Lehigh’s faculty brings to the classroom a wide variety of experience in addition to a deep well of knowledge of the latest research, best practices and techniques in counseling. A low student-to-faculty ratio means master’s candidates work closely with mentors throughout the program.
Those interested should complete an online application and provide undergraduate and (if applicable) graduate transcripts. Applicants must have achieved at least a 3.0 grade point average as an undergraduate. They should submit an essay and an acknowledgement that they understand the College of Education policy on clearances. Candidates should also provide two letters of recommendation with at least one from a faculty member of an accredited academic institution. Only U.S. citizens can receive Pennsylvania certification as a school counselor.
The deadline to apply is January 15 for a Fall start.
The degree requires the completion of 16 courses (48 credits) based on the standards of the Pennsylvania Department of Education. A typical course load of three or four courses in the fall, three or four in the spring, and two to four in the summer enables candidates to complete the program in two years (two falls, two springs and one summer).
Students are expected to perform a minimum of 100 hours of field work in addition to an internship of 15-20 hours a week for two semesters. A clinical coordinator assists students with placements for field work and the internship.
The culminating experience is the student’s comprehensive portfolio.
Classes are offered in the afternoons and evenings to make the program more convenient for working professionals, which contributes to the degree’s high completion rate.
Nationwide, the need for school counselors is growing. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics expects demand to rise by 13 percent between 2016 and 2026.
As of January 2014, school counselors in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania are certified PreK-12. The Lehigh School Counseling Program now leads to certification at PreK-12 through the Pennsylvania Department of Education TIMS online system.
Graduates have gone on to counseling positions in elementary, middle and secondary schools, college counseling centers and mental health and social service agencies.
School counselors do not require CACREP accreditation to practice in schools in the United States. CACREP accreditation is not required for a license as a professional counselor in many jurisdictions within the U.S.
|COURSE NUMBER||COURSE NAME||CREDITS|
|Shared Core Courses (21 credits)|
|CPSY 427||Assessment and Appraisal in Counseling||3|
|CPSY 436||Culture-Centered Career Intervention||3|
|CPSY 442||Counseling and Therapeutic Approaches||3|
|CPSY 471||Diversity and Multicultural Perspectives||3|
|CPSY 472||Human Development Across the Lifespan||3|
|CPSY 451||Helping Skills||3|
|School Counseling Track (17 credits)|
|CPSY 445||School Counseling I||4|
|CPSY 448||School Counseling II||3|
|CPSY 449||School Counseling III||4|
|SPED 332||Education and Inclusion of Individuals with Special Needs in K-12||3|
|SPED 465||Advanced Inclusionary Practices in K-12||3|
|Clinical Training (7 credits)|
|CPSY 479||Master's Counseling Practicum||1|
|CPSY 480||Master's Internship I||3|
|CPSY 483||Master's Internship II||3|
|Specialty and Technology Requirement|
1 Advisor Approved Elective
|Electronic Portfolio Completion Form Signed Off|
Technology Requirement (An Electronic Portfolio is required, student must post it to Web space), complete online registration each semester, receive orientation from LTS staff on use of the portal, use Course Site for at least one course, and take at least one Information Resources Mini Course as well as participate in the LU CP Listserv)
|NOTE: Students seeking LPC status should also register for CPSY 439 and CPSY 430 as two of their additional courses for licensure beyond the 48 credits required for the degree.|
Application Requirements & Deadlines
- Completed online application
- $65 Application Fee
- GPA Minimum: 3.0 undergraduate
- Official transcript(s) from each post-secondary institution attended
- 2 letters of recommendation - at least one recommendation must come from a faculty member at an accredited academic institution
- Acknowledgement of College of Education Policy on Clearances
- January 15 for fall semester start