Get started today!
- Application requirements: Online application, transcripts, minimum GPA of 3.0 (undergraduate) and a minimum GPA of 3.6 (graduate), two letters of recommendation, need a minimum of six years of satisfactory school experience, with at least three years in a supervisory or administrative capacity and a written narrative
- Course Requirements: 18 courses (28 credits) for Certification only
- Typical Course Load: Fall (1-2 courses), Spring (1-2 courses), Summer (1-2 courses)
- Time to Completion: 2-3 years
- Culminating Experience: Apprenticeship with a superintendent
- Alumni Current Positions: Our alums have gone on to lead school districts around the state
This program, approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education, prepares K-12 administrators to become innovative and effective leaders as school district superintendents.
In order to be certified as a superintendent in Pennsylvania, students must complete the program with a minimum 3.0 grade point average. They must also:
- Have a minimum of six years of satisfactory school experience, with at least three years in a supervisory or administrative capacity
- Be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident
- Show satisfactory achievement on the Pennsylvania-required test
For Lehigh’s Superintendent PK-12 Letter of Eligibility program, students who have already earned a master’s degree take six courses for 18 credits in subjects that include school district governance, ethics and the law, district resource management, instructional leadership, and leading inclusive learning systems. The classes are mostly in the late afternoon and evenings for the convenience of working professionals.
Superintendent certification candidates earn another 10 credits doing an apprenticeship with a superintendent.
Lehigh’s innovative faculty include leaders with years of experience as school administrators and teachers as well as professors who are at the forefront of research in best practices. Alumni have gone on to lead school districts in the region and around the state.
Those interested in applying should complete the online application and submit official undergraduate and graduate transcripts. A minimum grade point average of 3.0 is required for undergraduate work and a minimum of 3.6 for graduate work.
Applicants should submit two letters of recommendation, either academic or professional, and a written narrative answering questions about their quest for Superintendent Certification.
Students may begin in any semester, with an Aug. 1 deadline for a fall start, Dec. 1 for spring start and May 8 for a summer start.
For more information on Pennsylvania’s certification requirements, please see this link.
|COURSE NUMBER||COURSE NAME KEY: F = FALL, SP = SPRING, SU = SUMMER||CREDITS|
|EDL 421||Instructional Leadership (SP, SU)||3|
|EDL 423||Leading Inclusive Learning Systems (F)||3|
|EDL 426||Introduction to Relational Leadership: Theory and Practice (SU)||3|
|EDL 436||School District Governance: Planning Policy, Ethics and Law (Alt F beginning F 2011)||3|
|EDL 437||School District Resource Management (Alt SP beginning SP 2011)||3|
|EDL 488||Program Evaluation (SP)||3|
|Apprenticeship (All core requirements coursework must be completed before proceeding to this section)|
|EDL 425||Leading and Managing Change (F)||3|
|EDL 485||The Superintendency (Alt SP beginning SP 2012)||3|
|EDL 408||Central Office Internship I (F)||2|
|EDL 409||Central Office Internship II (SP)||2|
NOTE: Individuals who have not completed a Principal Certification program must also complete the following courses prior to taking any of the core courses in the program:
|COURSE NUMBER||COURSE NAME (KEY: F = FALL, SP = SPRING, SU = SUMMER)||CREDITS|
|EDL 400||Organizational Leadership and Change Management (F, SP, SU)||3|
|EDL 420||Data Based Decision Making (SU)||3|
|EDL 422||Curriculum Management for the School Executive (SU)||3|
|EDL 479||School Law and Ethics (SP)||3|
|EDUC 471||Diversity and Multicultural Perspectives F, SP, SU)||3|
Click here to view the course catalog which provides descriptions of the courses.
Application Requirements & Deadlines
- Completed online application
- $65 Application Fee
- GPA Minimum: 3.0 (undergraduate)
- GPA minimum: 3.6 (graduate)
- 2 letters of recommendation - Academic and/or professional
- Acknowledgement of College of Education Policy on Clearances
- Written Narrative - Superintendent Certification
- Professional development
- 6 years (minimum) of satisfactory school experience, with at least 3 years in a supervisory or administrative capacity
- May 8 for summer semester start
- August 1 for fall semester start
- December 1 for spring semester start